Thursday, June 2, 2011

Kia Sportage key stuck in ignition?

I have a Kia Sportage and the key won't come out of the ignition. It does turn and cuts the car off, but won't turn to turn the stereo off. I have to take the cable off of the battery terminal to get the key released. I think something is wrong with the tumblers in the ignition switch, but I am not a mechanic and the only thing I know how to do is change my brakes.



Does anyone have any idea what's causing this and how it can be fixed/how much it will cost??Kia Sportage key stuck in ignition?
Sounds like a bad ignition tumbler itself. Probably not the switch. Have you tried pulling the wheel slightly to one side or the other to get the key to release. Sometimes the wheel lock will cause the key to lock in and depending on what year the car is, the stereo can stay on as long as the key is in the ignition.