Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Beetle Ignition switch issues?

Hey! I have a 1976 bug,that is having some issues staying started. I have a shop manual for it,but it isn't very explanatory on how to change the ignition switch,It wants me to take the steering wheel and column out(the skill and tools to do this I probably don't have) and my mechanic wants me to bring it in and pay 300 bucks to have a new one installed. I can still get the aux power on by turning the key,but turning it all the way to crank the engine is another story,it comes on after a few tries,and going down the road will spontaneously die until I tap the key back into place. I am wanting to know if anybody can tell me how to maybe bypass the switch,and re route it to a toggle or push button start! Also I have heard a rumor about being able to use a Ford solenoid to get power from the battery straight to the starter motor...is this true? And if anyone knows of a better shop manual to use.Beetle Ignition switch issues?
careful w a derill if you drill too deep you will be looking for the whole part that holds the switch. There sshould be a little hole to put a paper clip sized wire into to release the swith. After disconnecting the back of the switch and the battery. Check out one of many books to see how its done. takes some jiggling. best bet is to find some old airhead to do it for about 10-20 bucks and 2 minutes.Beetle Ignition switch issues?
you really don't need no special tools to do this one with,you can use a drill to drill out the old break off bolts that hold the switch on and they give you new ones with the new switch,i use to own one of those cars and if you got some good hand tools you,ll be able to swap the switches out on that car,the one thing you don't want to do is try and by pass it,that can cause the main switch to short out,just buy the new one and install it,its not as hard as most mechanics make it out to be,good luck.