Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Ignition resistor?

How would I go about changing the relay for the ignition switch in my 1994 Cavalier. The key is stuck in the ignition, and the car will not run unless I hold the key to almost the start position. If I let it go back to the run position, it will die. I understand there is a drop in voltage from start to run, and the change is probably the problem. Anyone able to help me figure out how to fix it?Ignition resistor?
It may not be the ignition resistor... It may be the ignition switch itself. If your ignition resistor was bad the car wouldn't even start The reason I say this is cause a friend of mine had a 1994 Cavalier that did the same thing yours does. He changed his ignition resistor with no results. What it ended up being was the ignition switch. I would try that first. That is my opnion.