Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Need an idea on estimate for an old Honda CB750, I think it is an 82 or 83.?

Thinking about making an offer on the bike, it needs work. First off it has no key so I imagine I would have to change out the ignition switch. It only has 4K miles on it. Tires are good. Seat is damaged, so I'm wondering how expensive it would be to have someone rebuild the seat. I cant imagine it has too many mechanical problems, its been garaged since 1987. I imagine it is an 82 or 83 since i looked up the years it was made. Should I bring a bike mechanic to see it first? I was thinking about offering up 500 bucks for it and hope that with another thousand I could get it running. Sound reasonable? Hoping to hear from maybe some bike mechanics or someone real knowledgeable with bikes. Thanks.Need an idea on estimate for an old Honda CB750, I think it is an 82 or 83.?
Bear in mind that, at best, this will be a break-even project. The rule of thumb with restoring bikes is to start out with the best example you can afford/find. That is the first step in keeping costs under control. There are many issues to think about here:

-You may not need to change the ignition lock. A Honda dealer may be able to get you a key using the VIN.

-Tires more than 5 years old are no good. Period. At its age, ALL other rubber parts are suspect, too. In particular, the intake rubbers (between the carbs and intake manifolds) are likely to be cracked.

-You might consider an aftermarket seat, such as a Corbin or Sargent. I have a Corbin on mine: The stock seat put my legs to sleep.

-Apart from the battery, the electrical system may be fine, but it would be wise to check all the electrical connectors, and there are many.

-The fuel system may need a huge amount of work. Hopefully, it was stored with no fuel in the carbs. Otherwise, they will need a complete rebuild. The gas tank may be rusty. If this isn't rectified, the bike will never run right--rust will plug up the carb jets or cause the float valves to stick.

-Unless well-lubed when stored, all of the cables may need replacement. They may be seized in their sheaths, or close to breaking from rust-through.

-The hydraulic brakes may be seized. Check the master cylinders and all the pistons. At the very least, the brake fluid and hoses must be changed. The fluid is hygroscopic, meaning that it actually attracts water. Get stainless steel braided brake lines made up. They're cheaper and better than stock. I don't think off-the-shelf lines are available anymore.

-Bearings-wheel, steering head, swing arm-should all be okay.



Why have i gone to such length? I own (since new) a pristine 1981 CB750F with just about every mod you can think of, done up as a cafe racer with custom paint and chromed everything. I LOVE these old bikes! And with top-notch suspension and sticky tires it has surprisingly good handling and can lean waaaay over (pegs, pipe and sidestand touch down). I call mine the %26quot;Q-ship%26quot;.Need an idea on estimate for an old Honda CB750, I think it is an 82 or 83.?
Well I wouldn't give more than 500 for it. It's old, and if you have to do any work to it not worth it. Keep you eyes open because you should be able to get something like it that needs nothing for 400-800 dollars...If you have the 500 plus another 1000 to spare, I would look at something newer that needs nothing. You'll be happier trust me.Need an idea on estimate for an old Honda CB750, I think it is an 82 or 83.?
Garaged?



GRAB IT!!!!



My '80 cost me $600 in '06 needing work.

For a total cost of $1000 it was on the road.

Bike, tires, brakes, filters, etc.



Don't worry about changing the switch. Take the switch to a dealership and he can cut you a key from the numbers on the cylinder. That way you don't need two keys to lock up.Need an idea on estimate for an old Honda CB750, I think it is an 82 or 83.?
I think you should check out the link below, it appears to be worth more than 500 bucks. Good luck.Need an idea on estimate for an old Honda CB750, I think it is an 82 or 83.?
You should always be very skeptical of an old bike with too few miles on it. A 26 or 27 year old bike with 4000 miles on it has undoubtedly sat in a garage for years at a stretch, perhaps DECADES at a stretch. There are parts on a bike that wear out faster if not used (actually they -rot- out). It might even run well but you will have one problem after another with it and it will break your heart.



This was an amazing bike in its day, and if you found one that had been all gone through it would be a nice bike to have. You would be taking it to vintage bike meets and getting a lot of attention from old bikers (like me) wherever you stopped.



But understand that you're going to need to do a lot with this bike, and parts are getting hard to find. The seat is easy to replace (you can get a new cover and install it yourself) but that is going to be the least of your problems. Call your local Honda dealer and ask them where you'd find a head gasket for an 82 or 83 CB 750.Need an idea on estimate for an old Honda CB750, I think it is an 82 or 83.?
I have a truck that's been garaged for 15 years. I call it my 1000 dollar truck because every time I go work on it I spend a thousand dollars. I'm assuming you only want this for transportation. If so I would pay 500 for it, but then I have mechanical skills. If you don't have any skills then I wouldn't buy it if I was you. More than likely it was stored with gas in the tank and carbs, so the tank is probably rusted and the carbs will have to be rebuilt. Other things will have to be done also before you even think of trying to start it. If you do decide to buy it then the first think you'll have to buy is a Clymer's repair manual. I have one for every bike I've ever owned if I needed it or not. It's just a good thing to have just in case.