Saturday, November 20, 2010

How do I change the ignition switch on a 1997 chevy blazer?

I need to change the ignition and I'm told that I need to remove the steering wheel. I have the tools to remove the steering wheel, but I don't know how to take the cover off of the steering wheel. Also, I'm a bit lost on the rest of the process. Can somebody help?How do I change the ignition switch on a 1997 chevy blazer?
I own a shop, and if you are trying to remove the steering wheel to change the ignition switch, then you may not have to. The switch is on the steering column about 1/2 down towards the floor, and has a rod that runs from the key cylinder %26amp; locking part. As some of the other answers state, %26quot;IF you don't know how to deal with the air bag, then take it to someone who does%26quot; as these things can take your head right off your body if you are close to it when it goes off. You shouldn't have to remove the steering wheel, but if you do; I strongly suggest you get some help. The best place to get help with this would be a paint %26amp; body shop. They deal with them all the time, and can direct you in the proper direction to do it safely.

Glad to help out, Good luck!!!How do I change the ignition switch on a 1997 chevy blazer?
If you dont know the procedure for disabling the air bag, you'd better not try to do it.How do I change the ignition switch on a 1997 chevy blazer?
You may have to disable the air bag too if it has one, try behind the wheel there should be screws to take the cover off.