Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Does anyone know how I can reset the theft system on a 1997 grand am gt so I can get the car to start?

System alarm light stays on steady now. I have tried the 10 minute 3xs and it doesn't work. The ignition switch was changed last year when I had the same problem, I am tired of making Pontiac richer. Anyone with suggestions please let me know, I'm open to suggestionsDoes anyone know how I can reset the theft system on a 1997 grand am gt so I can get the car to start?
I have to wait for like 15-20 mins then the light will shut off then try to start it. If that doesn't work you may have to call ur local dealer.Does anyone know how I can reset the theft system on a 1997 grand am gt so I can get the car to start?
Stick the key in the Ignition and try to start, let go of the key as if it did start, the security light should start flashing, If it does, wait about ten minutes, when the security light goes out, turn the ign. off then back on within 5 seconds. You need to do this 3 times but make sure the battery is fully charged and everything else is off.

If this does not work, then you may have another bad ignition switch or broken wire in the switch sensor, a code stored in the PCM keeping it from relearning or even a bad PCM. (computer)